General Thread

Haha, oh well I can’t wait to see what people say on the Steam forums about this game. :moonman_shock:

It should be a lot like reading youtube comments… you aren’t missing anything important.

This made me so happy :laughing: I work really hard on my AI

Hehe well done :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’m now ranked 43 and climbing. It’s amazing how complex you can make a program with so few variables.

Has one of you been messing around on StackExchange? http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/35130/do-drop-bears-exist :crazy:

mwahaha

I love how the guy is like “It’s very un-Australian to ruin a joke but I got pilloried for [trying to sustain it] last time…”

I find it kinda funny where all our career courses in school always talk about how we must look towards our future, to University and beyond. Plan out what we want to do, where we want to go, what we want to be. And here I am looking at my future from in between a rock and a hard place. Kinda makes you look on your past decisions and think “if I had done that differently then I would be in a better situation right now.”

Is everything okay? Or just philosophising?

Technically speaking, everything is “okay”. I’m not failing any courses, I’ve landed lots of tech classes, and it looks like I’m on a path to get a job in computing. That’s perfectly fine with me. But the fact I’ve focused on computers so much is the problem for me. Recently I’ve picked up an interest in another field and would also like to pursue that, however I’m just not sure if that’s possible now.

Trust me, it’s always possible. I know people who have made complete career shifts in their 30s or even 40s after getting burnt out on their current path (my sister-in-law is a great example) and made a very good home for themselves in a new field. I myself graduated college with a degree in graphic design but that was right when the recession hit and all the design jobs vanished in a puff of smoke, so I took an opportunity in technology instead and literally built a very successful career without ever getting a degree in it.

The fallacy is not failing to plan well. The fallacy is thinking you’re stuck because of it.

By the way if you do end up pursuing the tech route, let me know and I can probably hook you up with an awesome company that will pay you very well right out of graduation :crazy:

I agree with Thanby 100%, I’ll add my own little story…

I completed 3 years of university before realising that engineering wasn’t for me. I took a chance and restarted, from scratch, in a computer science degree. It was hard to still be at uni when all my friends graduated, but it was the best decision I made. Luckily in Australia our government loans us money to go to uni if we have good enough grades. I’ve yet to pay that debt off.

If you are passionate about the new field then I’d seriously consider your options. I’m not sure how old you are, but your 20’s are the time when it’s easiest to do that. You don’t necessarily have to do more education – instead you can try to use your education to get your foot in the door of that new field. Luckily computers are a core technical skill in our society so you can use that to bridge into the new field.

Well damn. That made me feel better. Considering the two fields are closely related, I guess I kinda didn’t have anything to worry about. Thank you.

Are you going to tell us what that field is? :stuck_out_tongue:

Animation.

Quick second to brag, my wedding just got featured in the Hotel de Glace promotional video: http://www.hoteldeglace-canada.com/images.php?action=video

I love how the music is all epic while it’s basically a big snow fort when you think about it.

If anybody here ever feels like they did something stupid remember me and the fact I stepped on my own hand yesterday.

Wow what a place to get married :slight_smile:

Oh sweet. Well the computer education totally supports this, now you just need to put in a few hours each day and in a couple of years you’ll have a great portfolio .