Help me learn to code

Hey, my name is James. I am 15 years old and I am just generally curious on learning to code. In the future I hope to be able to write simple to moderate programs. I want to start off by learning python and I was wondering if anyone apart of this community would be so kind and give me some recommendations and recourses for learning to program. I will be dearly grateful for any helpful replies I receive.

Cheers !

Yo James, welcome! :moonman:

For python I’d start with a library like pygame and go through the beginner tutorials. You should be able to create some things bouncing around the screen in no time.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Here is a website called codecademy. It’s safe, widely known and used, and by “widely” I mean 25 million+ users. It offers tutorials on all the big languages as well as APIs and other things. It’s completely free, other than some things that are locked behind a “pro” account, however those things are completely optional and none of the language is blocked off. If you want to start coding, here is a good place to start.

Hi fellow teenage programmer (or soon to be) check out stack overflow if you have any questions, it’s a great resource,

good luck!

You can also get Unity for free (you only have to pay for it if you actually start making significant money off your games) and there are hundreds of excellent tutorials out there for beginners on how to program with various languages in Unity. It’s a great resource for beginners who are totally new to game development and coding in general, so it could be a fun way to get started learning code.

Wait THAT’S how Unity works? I’ve gotta get me some Unity!

Yeah you literally get full access to every feature, it’s not like some “free trial version”. You can even sell your games. They only care and want you to pay if you make over $100,000 off of a game.

Yeah Unity is awesome, would highly recommend.