Support

MoonQuest Support Page

This page provides answers to common issues and explains how to report bugs. If your issue isn’t listed here, then please leave a comment on this forum or contact Ben via email. Please attach the contents of log.txt (typically found in c:\Users\UserName\Saved Games\moonquest) and the specifications of your machine. Please use the search feature of the forum first to make sure the bug hasn’t been reported.

Kickstarter Backers

If you backed the Moonman/MoonQuest Kickstarter (or pre-ordered via Humble) then you can access your copy of the game by:

1. Clicking https://www.humblebundle.com/resender
  2. Entering your email address and clicking “Resend my orders”
  3. Receiving an email from Humble
  4. Clicking the “Moonman Pre-order” link in the email
  5. Following the instructions on that page

Please contact me directly if you have any issues.

System Requirements

Windows: 2GB RAM and a dedicated graphics card. NOTE: If you’ve got a dual graphics system, you may have to manually select your graphics card when running the game (right-click moonquest.exe -> run with graphics card). Let us know if you meet these requirements and the game doesn’t run.

Troubleshooting: Windows

The game doesn’t work!

Refer to the README.txt in the game directory and follow the instructions there. Make sure your graphics drivers are updated and, if you have a dual-graphics system, that MoonQuest is actually running off your dedicated graphics chip (see system requirements above).

The game crashes and mentions atigktxx.dll

Try updating your graphics drivers.

The game crashes and mentions Ig7icd32.dll

You can’t run the game off intel’s integrated graphics chip, you need a dedicated graphics card. If you do have a graphics card then make sure you select it when running the game, see System Requirements above.

My PS3/PS4 controller doesn’t work

We have tested with Xbox360 controllers. To play the game with a PS3 or PS4 dualshock controller in Windows, make sure you have the ScpToolkit drivers installed. They can be obtained from https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit

FAQ

Where are the Saved Games stored?

MoonQuest saves its games in the user’s Saved Games folder. This is typically at:

Windows: C:\Users\UserName\Saved Games\moonquest

MacOS: ~/Library/Containers/playmoonquest.com.MoonQuest/Data/Library/Application\ Support/moonquest/​

What’s this crash dialog thing?

When the game crashes it asks you if you want to send a crash report. It will help us resolve issues more quickly if you click okay, but you can also easily just cancel it.

Malware warning when downloading?

When downloading under Chrome the browser may flag MoonQuest as harmful / malware / etc. This warning is common when downloading executables from non-standard websites and can be safely ignored and disabled. (Or maybe go to your downloads list and you can override it there.) Alternatively try downloading it from another browser.

Legacy Support

This page used to contain support for an early alpha build. This information is still available below.

Expand to see legacy alpha support

System Requirements

Mac: OSX 10.7 or higher. 64-bit only.

Linux: 32-bit Linux, or 64-bit Linux with 32-bit support libraries installed. MoonQuest has been tested on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS and Linux Mint, but should work on any recent Linux distribution.

Troubleshooting: OSX

MoonQuest is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) has a new security feature called Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper is enabled by default and prevents applications distributed outside of the Mac App Store from launching.

The workaround (from here):

• Open Gatekeeper settings located in “System Preferences > Security & Privacy”
  • Set “Allow applications downloaded from:” to “Anywhere” and confirm by pressing “Allow From Anywhere”
  • Download, unpack and run the profiler application
  • Once an application is successfully launched, it no longer goes through Gatekeeper. Thus you can restore Gatekeeper settings to the default option “Mac App Store and identified developers” after successfully launching the profiler

Performance

If performance is not great, ensure that you aren’t forcing integrated graphics and that you fulfil the system requirements.

Troubleshooting: Linux

Performance

If performance is not great, please ensure that your video drivers are up to date for your GPU. For best performance you should use the NVIDIA or AMD proprietary drivers.

64-bit Linux Installation

MoonQuest is distributed as a 32-bit binary. If you are running a 64-bit Linux you may need to install 32-bit libraries. If you have run games previously, these libraries may already be installed. However, if the game doesn’t run when you double click it, or if you run it from the command-line and get messages about missing libraries, you should install the 32-bit versions of the following:

• libxcb-image0
  • libxcb-randr0
  • libopenal1
  • libstdc++6

In Ubuntu you can do this by typing the following at a command-line:

sudo apt-get install libxcb-image0:i386 libxcb-randr0:i386 libopenal1:i386 libstdc++6:i386

In 64-bit Arch Linux you’ll have to get the image package from https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/xcb-util-image/ extract it to ~/Downloads or wherever, then copy the file in ~/Downloads/usr/lib/libxcb-image-so.0.0.0 to ~/moonquest/.

If you have to install other libraries not mentioned here, we would appreciate if you contacted us and let us know what you installed to get the game working, and what error messages were appearing before you did so!

Linux: If giving Linux feedback, please also send the output from running the following commands at a terminal:

uname -a
cat /etc/*-release

Downloads
Moonman Alpha News, Changelog, Gui Mockup, Forest Generator
Moonman Alpha: First Build!
Oct 30, 2015
Moonman Alpha News, Changelog, Gui Mockup, Forest Generator

I need help with a graphics glitch in game. Would this be the place to ask for help?

Yep! Or just PM me.

I’ll ask here, just in case others have this issue and want to see a potential solution.

So I just recently purchased the game on Steam, and after starting it up the graphics are torn. It’s mostly just the background, but certain foreground items are invisible when they overlap with the broken pixels. I’ve tried restarting it on lower graphics settings, reinstalling it, and validating game files but nothing seems to work. VSync doesn’t change anything, nor does any of the other graphics settings. I have a screen shot showing an example of the issue. Can I post it here?

Yeah please post the screenshot here and also your log.txt which is in c:\users\yourname\saved games\moonquest…

hello
looking for portuguese traslator?

hey andre, please email me at benjamin.porter@gmail.com if you are offering a service. i want to translate, but not for many months yet.

Done, thanks!

Seems I can’t upload yet cause I’m a new user. Am I able to upload in a PM? If yes, then how do I PM? First time on this site so I’m still unfamiliar with it.

Sorry about that, I gave you higher permissions. You know what, just email me at benjamin.porter@gmail.com with the information. Thanks! (I’m off home now but I’ll look at it in the morning)

Thanks for the help. I sent an email with the information.

Hi, it seems that just don’t launch in a remote desktop connection.

Hi Hiroshi, thanks. Can I please have some more information, like the log.txt file I mention in the post above?

Hi Hiroshi, thanks. Can I please have some more information, like the log.txt file I mention in the post above?

Ah, sorry, I though it can be reproducible behavior…

Anyway here is my log.txt

MoonQuest Log
Loading settings from C:/Users/81807/Saved Games/moonquest/standalone/settings.json
Loading application state from C:/Users/81807/Saved Games/moonquest/standalone/app.dat
Loading achievements data
!WARN core.cpp(740): System doesn't support Vertex Buffer Objects!
!WARN core.cpp(741): System doesn't support Vertex Array Objects!
!WARN main.cpp(1465): Error encountered! (exception code = 3221225477)
Total play time: 0 minutes

It works without RDP on same machine and macOS with wine.

Anyway, MoonQuest is addictive for me like diablo or net hack!

Thanks. Are you able to play other games over remote desktop? Which ones?

I tried Fortnite, It seems to work.
EDIT: I just open, but not playing yet.
EDIT2: Its main game play works.

Thanks. I’m not familiar with remote desktop technologies … but a little googling suggests that using VNC may be possible with OpenGL applications like MoonQuest.